There are a lot of kinds of modal auxiliaries; two of them are May and Might. Both may and might have different functions. Here we will discuss some functions of May and Might.
We use modal auxiliary May for:
- Something which we are sure of.
- She may be coming to check her healthy tomorrow.
- Oh My God! I may be late to the class
Showing polite requests:
- May I visit your office tomorrow?
- May I borrow your vehicle?
- You may not use my pen!
- You may not look at that room for this time
And we use might for:
- past tense of may
- they asked to me if they might stay at my house for a week
- he said to me that he might leave this city
Showing very polite request
- Excuse me Miss, might I ask you a question?
- Might I submit my tasks tomorrow?
So, we can use both may and might in our conversation, and apply them in our daily speaking.
Latest posts by Melly Hartati (see all)
- Prefixes and Suffixes - June 21, 2017
- What is Homophone? - May 23, 2017
- Gerakan PalComTech Sehat, Cetarkan Kambang Iwak Family Park - April 19, 2017